After having looked at lots of media cabinets I knew I wanted an oriental style and also closed storage. Open storage means lots of dust-collecting components on view.
My husband designed this cabinet using 2″ X 6″ pine lumber with a few bits of 2″ X 4″ and birch faced plywood thrown in. The legs are basically 2 chunks of 2″ X 6″ carved down with a bandsaw, glued up, and then sanded smooth with a drum sander. The front and back are face cabinetry using a Kreg pocket hole jig. (Not much could be easier than using this cool makes-perfect-sense-why didn’t -I-come-up-with-this tool.) I ordered this from Rockler Woodworking and Hardware. The back was also rabbeted to accept the back piece of plywood so the entire back would be flush. The end pieces are rabbeted between the legs and pieces at the bottom acting as frames for a bit of plywood. At the corners the sides are tenoned into the front and back.
After splining four 2″ X 6″s together we used the pocket jig to hold it to legs, amde doors, set glass into doors. For finishing we distressed the heck out of it and then danish oiled it. At first I thought that might have been a mistake but it did eventually dry (very humid here in Virginia) and is a waterproof and durable surface. Surprisingly, even though we were just looking to make some thing “presentable” to hold TV watching and game playing media, we ended up with something quite nice. Total cost was maybe around $100 so not bad.