Since I started this project with no idea how to make a bat I started with my oldest skill first – SEWING. I cut out a black oval from stretchy crushed velvet about 4″ long and 2″ wide. I sewed it closed and left an opening about 1″ long so I could turn it and stuff it. After I stuffed it I sewed the opening closed. For the wings I decided to make a wire frame. Wire turned out to be the perfect choice because it’s firm, bendable, and will also give that bony feel to the wings. I drew the lines on a piece of paper, stripped some insulation off some household wire that was rolled up in the garage and then soldered the pieces together. (If you don’t know how to solder I’m betting someone you know DOES.)
Here is a close-up of the solder.
Then I cut a piece of thin, stretchy fake leather fabric the shape of the wire frame but about an inch bigger all the way around so I could glue it to the frame. I sewed a miter into the corner of all the points so I wouldn’t be trying to glue all that fabric inside.
Here is a close-up of the fabric.
I hot-glued all the edges to the inside of the frame. I’m hoping this copper wire still showing will hide inside. 🙂 Hopefully I don’t end up coming back and covering it with felt or something. This is a beta so you never know what will happen…