Teen Titans Robin

This costume was, in a word,

FUN.

To see picture of character as he appeared in cartoon go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Titans_(TV_series)

 

[wpcol_1third id="" class="" style=""]

 

I realize from this picture that it doesn’t look like this kid would have any problems with make-believe and being whatever character he is feeling on any given day. Surprisingly, though he seemed to be pulling off this character well already, when he finally put on the finished costume and makeup, he truly BECAME Robin from the Teen Titans cartoon series.[/wpcol_1third] [wpcol_2third_end id="" class="" style=""]

Robin (3)

[/wpcol_2third_end][wpcol_2third id="" class="" style=""]

Robin (4)

[/wpcol_2third] [wpcol_1third_end id="" class="" style=""] Let’s start with the makeup since it was the most fun. We grew B’s hair out for over a month since he normally has a crewcut. Then I purchased temporary (it’s not) hair dye which is supposed to wash out after 2 or 3 shampoos (it doesn’t). In fact, it NEVER washed out. Its probably still sitting in a landfill this color.(Note to self for future: If dying blonde hair black and eyebrows are also blonde, dye eyebrows also.)[/wpcol_1third_end][wpcol_1third id="" class="" style=""]

 

Then we added LOTS of spiky gel to make it stand up in the spikes the character sports in the cartoon. The makeup is just greasepaint, which was used because years before I made him a spiderman costume and he wouldn’t wear the mask. Choosing the makeup over a mask was a very lucky choice in this case because the “mask” moved with his face in the same way that the Teen Titan character “mask” moved with his face. Now is when I was glad I HADN’T dyed his eyebrows or they would have shown through the makeup.[/wpcol_1third] [wpcol_2third_end id="" class="" style=""]

 

Robin (9)

 

 

[/wpcol_2third_end][wpcol_2third id="" class="" style=""]

Robin (7)
[/wpcol_2third] [wpcol_1third_end id="" class="" style=""]Now for the costume itself. The shirt is just a cotton/poly knit, red for the main body, green for the sleeves.I inserted a casing in a semi-circular seam around the neck area that I later stuffed with polyfil I cut the shirt off at the bottom (so it didn’t have to be tucked in or pop out of his tights) and added a “utility belt” made out of fabric wrapped around various pieces of cardboard and all hot-glued to another piece of fabric. I hot-glued velcro to the back of the belt and sewed the corresponding velcro pieces to the shirt.

[/wpcol_1third_end]
[wpcol_1third id="" class="" style=""]

My reason for this is so the shirt could be pulled over his head – the belt was not stretchy so it had to be attached after shirt was on. A great effect of having the belt hang at the bottom of the shirt is that it kept the shirt in place and even pulled it back down after he raised his arms.The gloves were made from the same fabric as the shirt. I had B slightly splay his fingers on the fabric, outlined his fingers, and sewed about 1/4 inch around the marked line. I continued the gloves on up his arm, creating wide openings at the elbows. The fabric was a bit floppy so I added some iron-on interfacing to the insides of the upper sections. [/wpcol_1third] [wpcol_2third_end id="" class="" style=""]

 

Robin (6) [/wpcol_2third_end][wpcol_1half id="" class="" style=""]2

[/wpcol_1half] [wpcol_1half_end id="" class="" style=""]

The cape was made separately and attached to the costume with velcro so it would tear away if necessary. The boots started out with a pair of converse-type sneakers with vinyl glued to the upper sides of the fabric. I put a separating zipper up the front of the vinyl. I spray painted the rubber parts of the shoes that were going to show with silver paint and detailed them with a sharpie. The end result was a shoe you put on, tighten and tie the laces, and then zip up  to cover the laces and upper part of the shoe. These proved remarkably durable as he wore them for weeks afterward to play. Also, don’t forget to take the whole costume, shoes included, out into the yard, and spray it with a fine fine glitter spray so it has a sheen or sparkle to it. For some reason this gives it a very theatrical look.[/wpcol_1half_end]

The aftermath. Tired but happy.

Robin (8) 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>